Wednesday, January 18, 2017

St. Mary's Hospital

I have posted about this before, but some things in life bear repeating. In fact, we learn by repetition, and this is something worth learning.

I was at St. Mary's hospital some years ago. I was waiting for the elevator. My mind was filled with worry and concern about some random thing that was going on in my life. Then my eyes fell to a framed letter that was hanging on the wall nearby. Evidently one of the hospital administrators had written to Mother Teresa - and surprise - she wrote back!

Dated March 10, 1986

Dear Mr. Coen,
Thank you very much for your letter and good wishes. Thank God for God. For using our nothingness to show his love. He calls me, he calls you – each of us to be his sign of love to each other. This is a great privilege that he shares with us.

I shall pray that you may learn to love him much and share this love with those around you, your loved ones, first, then your neighbors and every person that you meet.
God bless you

Mother M. Teresa


Reading that letter changed my day and gave me something to think about. I have never forgotten the moment or the concept that to love others is a great privilege to which God calls us. Today the letter has been moved to a different area of the hospital. If you go in the east door at St Mary's, take an immediate right and go up the elevator to the second floor. Nearby, hanging on a wall is the letter, still delivering it's timeless message.

It is a great privilege, the great privilege that we have, you and I, to go about, here and there, sharing God's love.  That is what Christ followers are supposed to do and it is indeed an honor and a privilege to do so.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very clear n simple but not easy