Thursday, May 16, 2019

happiness and joy

A friend asked me to write about happiness and joy.  Are they the same or are they different?

Here goes:  Happiness and joy are first cousins, but they are not the same.  They are not identical twins.

Happiness does not lead to joy, but joy can make us feel happy.

Happiness is rooted in circumstances.  Good things, I am happy.  Bad things, I am not happy.
Joy is deeper than this.  Joy is a sense of well being that transcends circumstances.  It is well with my soul = joy.  I am secure in my skin = joy.  I know what my life is about = joy.  I love and am loved = joy.

I think that both are needed in this life.  Both are definitely desired.  Most humans have some happiness from time to time, but there are many that never experience joy because their lives are too tied to circumstances.

I am reminded of the "very well, very well" story which you can read at this link:

click here to read the very well story - joy is deeper than circumstances

May you find this day, both happiness and joy.  But if you have to choose one or the other, discover and embrace joy.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Paris-Normandy River Cruise
October 23-31, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/rc19102319x17768#.W3avNFJK3cs

Holy Land Trip leaving January 20, 2020 $2998 from New York
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/HL20A-2.pdf

No comments: