Sunday, November 28, 2021

Discomfort


Recently heard on a TED talk: Discomfort is the price of admission to a meaningful life.

It seems to me that there is more discomfort as we get older. More ailments, more disappointments, more sadness.

I realize that I can wallow in the discouragement, or I can work harder to see the good. Because, the good is still there.

Harold Kushner, in his book, Why do bad things happen to good people says, "we have to realize that the universe has some rough edges."


You know one of my favorite movies is Harold and Maude. At the end of the movie [spoiler alert] at the end of the movie, Maude dies. Harold is mad. He drives his car at high speeds towards the cliff. You think he has gone over. The car surely goes over. But then the camera pans up and there is Harold on top of the cliff with his banjo, and the Cat Stevens song comes on, If you want to sing out sing out.

Tomorrow I will post those lyrics, but the point is, we have a choice. To bow to rejection and pain and discomfort, or to get up and see the good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

click here for the brochure

.


No comments: