Monday, August 15, 2022

levels of goodness


My friend Pat sent me a podcast to listen to.  It was stories by Malcom Gladwell about people who followed Mt. 25.  I was hungry and you fed me.  I was a stranger and you took me in.

here is the link to the podcast

The entire podcast was good, but there was one concept that just grabbed me.

As much as I like to talk about and think about and practice kindness,  the author of the podcast, Malcom Gladwell said that kindness is "entry level goodness."

He offered three levels of goodness:

1. Kindness
2. Generosity
3. Sacrifice

Clearly we can be kind with out giving anything other than our words.  Generosity tends to involve words and stuff.  Sacrifice gives until it hurts.

This concept is another challenge to our human nature of selfishness.  Maybe just kindness is not enough.  Maybe I/we need to add generosity.  I am going to be thinking about this for a while.  

But, keep practicing kindness please!!!  But if you can expand to kindness that leads to generosity or even sacrifice, good for you.  Let's stay at it.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: