Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas lights

One of my favorite parts of Christmas has always been the lights. Lights on houses, lights on trees, lights on the plaza. When I was a kid, my family would drive down to the plaza every year and see the lights. There was a building near Main and Volker that always had slides of the nativity shining up on the side of their building. Does anyone else remember that? Do you remember what building that was?

We have always put lights on houses. Jon C taught me how to cut them and size them to run wherever you want them to go. A couple of years ago, I decided that I wanted to leave the world of multicolor lights and go to blue and green. Blue Springs South colors, my kids remind me. Well that may be true, but I chose the colors, and changed them out a few at a time because I thought the colors were peaceful. The picture on the blog right now is of our house. Blue and green, and yes, one random red light.

Why is there a random red light? Why do you think.

The women at our house don't like it, they say our house has a blemish. Its the house with the pimple. Scott gets it.

If you saw the movie, "the mask" the red light is the howling scene. If you saw the movie, "the new kid," the red light is "crazy eyes." It is that little reminder that someone who lives there is just not quite right. Ask me about the red light and I will show you what I mean.

Life gets a bit routine sometime. Every heart, every life needs a reminder. A reminder to be alive, to be aware, to be awake. This is not just another day, this is not just another house, this is not just another person. God made everyone special. Every moment is to be savored. Good things are going on.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that building with the nativity scenes too. I believe that was at corner of Oak and Volker on what is now Russell Stover candy building - Not sure what it was at the time.

Anonymous said...

I'm a purist; all white lights. Why? Because I have this theory...the reason we put lights on our house is reminiscent of the star in the East shining on the house of the Savior. Stars cast white light; and the Savior lives here; our home. I like the idea of one red light, though. May have to adopt that in the future. Certainly someone is not quite right here.....yet! :)
Glenda Accardo