Friday, December 7, 2007

my aunt

Yesterday I was in Kirkwood, MO. It is a suburb of St. Louis. My mom was born and raised there and we were there when I was growing up 3x per year. Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and sometimes in the summer.

On or about July 20, 1969, when we first landed on the moon, I was in Kirkwood and we watched Neil Armstrong on a 12" black and white TV.

I was in Kirkwood to visit the pastor at the Methodist Church there. Good man. Great man. I got smarter just listening to him.

On the way to the Kirkwood church, I realize that "I know where I am." Although I have not been here for years, and I was never old enough to drive when I was here, Somehow, I know where I am. It is like this town was imprinted on my brain as a child. I drive past grandma's house.....still there. On the way home, I decide I will stop by and try to find my aunt. I have not seen her since mom died in 95. I think about where I am and where her house must be. Everything looks so much smaller than I remember. But, I know where I am and I drove right to her house, parked in the drive and rang the bell. I wondered what she would think when she saw me. I wondered if she would remember me.

Well, she opened the door and a grin came upon her face. "Jeffrey, get in this house!" We had a nice visit and then I drove home in the snow storm. I do not like driving in snow storms.

Point of the story about my aunt: She recognized me.

You think God has forgotten about you? You think he doesn't know what you are up to? Think he is out with other folks and you are no longer on his mind? Pull into the drive and knock on his door. He remembers you, he may just be waiting for you to come by and spend some time with him. No matter how long it has been, the door is always open and he still remembers your name.
Its a beautiful day in Gods world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: