Thursday, December 27, 2007

Uptown Station, New Orleans

Today I am in New Orleans at the Uptown Station. The Uptown Station is one of six hurricane relief centers in New Orleans that deploys crews to work on the homes of hurricane Katrina victims.

Woods Chapel has made a commitment to have someone down here every month to help the staff of the uptown station. We didn't have anyone in December, and there were a couple of weeks that had lots of people coming down. Bob J took the first week, and I took the this week.

It is really important that the pastor spends time every year in "hands on" missions. For that matter it is good for every Christian to do so. If I don't get out and stay in touch with the needy, I can start to think that real life is about a chair, a desk, a sermon and a suburban church.

Yesterday was slow here, but the work picked up last night.

Somewhere there is someone that you can help today. Don't miss your chance.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so appreciative of all who help on any kind of missions work. Personally, I would love to take a missions trip to spend a solid amount of time helping and being immersed in another area/culture. However, it is not a time when I can leave my family. The good news is that there are hundreds of ways to help in our area, and it is a fact that there will still be places to do missions work when I can be away from my family. Thank the Lord that there are so many with kind hearts to help where it is needed. Thank you, Jeff.