Sunday, December 2, 2007

A cold morning

It was a cold morning to ring the bell. Not many shoppers were out at 9am. It was too cold and rainy. I wondered, what if hardly anyone comes to shop? Not very many will put in the red kettle. That is ok, I thought, its good just to ring the bell. I am going to keep doing it.

I wonder while I am ringing, and no one is coming, if this is how God feels sometimes. He is calling, and no one notices. He is speaking and no one is listening. What does he do? He keeps calling, he keeps speaking. Thats just what he does.

It's like that at church. If the weather is bad, we will still have service. I have preached to small crowds in the past and I will do it again.

Well, it stopped raining, people came to shop and they gave to the needy. One member of WCC made a special trip up, put in some money, hugged the old guy ringing the bell, and went home. She didn't come to shop, just to give. You have to like that.

In quiet, lonely moments, inconvenient to the human schedule, God is speaking. He is calling. Ringing the bell. Praying that someone will listen. Maybe today is your day. Maybe today is my day. I am glad that God just keeps ringing the bell, calling us to himself.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. d

No comments: