Monday, December 31, 2007

church yesterday

I went to church yesterday, I hope that you did too. Your church needs your support no matter who is preaching. Terry made a nice comment on yesterday's post about what a great job Clay did and how the message touched her son.

When we miss church, we miss a chance to feel the presence of God. We miss the chance to be connected with God and with others. If we miss church too much, we start to feel like the world revolves around us. Church keeps us grounded.

Today I attended the Mt. Zion UMC in New Orleans. Connie Thomas is the pastor. When it was time for service to start, the piano player began plunking out an old gospel tune. The choir came in from the back, with a shuffle and a sway. They made their way to the front and began to sing:

I thank God,
I thank God,
I thank God,
for one more day.

The service was awesome. I don't get to go to church much and just worship. I cried through the whole service. It was great.

The Mt. Zion church is still in great disrepair from the hurricane. Services are held in the fellowship hall. Most of these people still live in FEMA trailers. With all of their problems, in the bulletin today, they had a little envelope for those who wanted to help the homeless in New Orleans. The needy reaching out to the more needy.

It was all so very inspirational.

I thank God.
I thank God.
I thank God
for one more day.

The role of the spiritual life is so very important to we human beings. It is wonderful to feel the touch of God from time to time.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

omar said...

During a recent sermon the question was asked whether our faith was a noun or a verb. I began thinking about whether the word church is a noun or a verb. From my elementary school teacher Ms. Titus it would be always be a noun. Sometimes I wonder if it should be used as a verb ... an action. Church is worship, church is helping, church is caring, church is giving, church is ...