Wednesday, December 19, 2007

walking wounded

Last night I ran into a friend from church.

What do you think when you see people? This couple, I always thought, "well, there are some nice folks with nice kids and a beautiful life."

That's not bad thinking, that's ok to think, I think. I thought.

Last night, I found out that this was her second marriage, that her first husband died when she was 25. Whoa.

Oh my gosh. Think of the hurt, the suffering, and the character that it would take to walk through that dark valley. I will never look at that person the same way again.

Now, when I see her, I will think, "what a hero, what a pillar. I'll bet I could learn something from her."

So, what do you see when you look at others? I guess we should value their depth and character even when we don't know their story. If they are good folks, there might just be a reason that they got that way.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the other side to that is, if their attitude is ugly, there might also be a reason for that: Maybe they need a little extra love, or a little more of Jesus, in order to heal and be whole again.
Glenda

chigger farmer said...

This story is so true! Just the other night I met a beautiful woman and based on her attractive appearance, great shape and nice jewelry I assumed that surely she lead a "charmed life." I even imagined that she might have been able to afford cosmetic surgery since her face didn't seem to move just right. A facelift - or Botox perhaps.....

Not long after I had those thoughts I learned that she had lost her husband less than a year ago and just months after losing him she had a stroke! Her face didn't move quite right because of a stroke - not a Botox injection. I felt so ashamed inside - and quickly learned that this was a woman of strength and courage; who was facing widowhood while recovering from a stroke and caring for her children too. She was still awaiting the day that she could go back to work. Wow.

I was reminded that this Christmas will be hard for people for all kinds of reasons. I was also reminded that I need to reserve judgement and not assume anything. You would think that I of all people should know that; but somehow I forgot. So many stories behind the smiles people put on their faces at this time of year. We need to remember the walking wounded.

There is hope for the hurting - Alleluia....Christ is born!