Tuesday, April 26, 2011

old places

Yesterday I went to visit someone in Research Hospital.  On the way home I was driving by 63rd street by the old Pepsi building.  I remembered that I used to work over there in 1979.  I turned off and went back into the area to see what was still there.

In 1979 there was an office trailer, a metal building shop and a place to park trucks.  What would be there today?  Not much.

32 years later, there is no trace of the business that I worked at for two years.  It is kind of a funny feeling to know that you invested yourself in a place, and a few years later, there is nothing.

May that never be the case for the things that really matter in life.  May our investments in the people that we come into contact with always bear fruit that lasts.  Office trailers come and go, but people are an eternal investment.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Without a doubt, Jeff, the two biggest investments of yourself, are the ones you find yourself still engaged in presently. No.1, your family, and No.2, your WCC family. These two will never, but never, leave you with the empty feeling that the return trip to the Pepsi building did. What you've invested in, in the two above, will not only be around, but will extend into future generations which you can enjoy reflecting on, from Heaven.

A life well lived. That's you.

God bless you, and thanks for helping keep Pepsi around, even though the building is gone. It's my soda of choice, when I occasionally drink the stuff.