Thursday, May 26, 2011

compassion fatigue

Compassion fatigue is what sets in when good people get tired of helping others.  It is like we have big hearts and we want to help, but after a while, a person has to return to their own life.  It is like sometimes we only want to do enough to make us feel better, and give up way before the issues are resolved.  We feel compassion fatigue when the demands of our normal life are begging us to return.  We have a yard to mow, a hobby to catch up on, and interests to pursue.

I understand compassion fatigue.  Sometimes I resemble it.  But I have a question. Or two.

What if we have no life to return to.  What if our life is no longer about "my life" vs the rest of the world.  What if my life began to be centered around the entire world.  What if the people in Joplin were all my cousins?  What if the people in Mozambique were my brothers and sisters.  What if I got to a point in my life where "my" resources diminished in importance and became expendable for the sake of my cousins, brothers and sisters.  What if I was more invested in people than things.  What if my greatest investment was in people.

What if my hobby became helping others.  No, what if my full time job was being the good Samaritan.  What if my life was centered around God's purpose rather than my own?  This is starting to sound like missional living. 

Is it possible that I would love others so much that my helping of them never became a burden.  I was hungry and you fed me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jeff. Your what if actually describes your best friend. Gave up carpentry at a young age. No pillow to lay his head on. No yards to mow. His hobbies were loving the unlovely and pointing the way we should live. You do a great job, Jeff, of who you choose for best friends. Jesus knows your heart and it is a good heart.