Thursday, May 19, 2011

mission trip Tuesday

Jamaican Tuesday


It is important if you come on this trip that you are resilient and flexible. The Jamaican people are very laid back and you need to be ready to roll with the changes and always take it easy. It is a cultural thing that we Americans are not very good at.
Today, none of the jobs planned for us panned out. So we took stock of our situation and decided to do some painting in the dorm. Brushes, paint, and thinner. Sticks to stir the paint, you must find on the ground. We spent the rest of the day painting interior doors and jams.
Before dinner we walked four blocks to the internet café where I spent 30 minutes on the web. I was able to access my computer at work and catch up on some email. When I was done I asked how much I owed them. The answer was $100. I stopped dead in my tracks. How much? One hundred dollars. One hundred dollars Jamaican. Oh, ahh, yes. Thank you. That is $1.25 US dollars.
Dinner was great. Chicken and rice. After dinner we had a wonderful talk amonst the team about life, families and the church. One of the great benefits to taking such a trip is that you get to know the other people on the team very well.
It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

H4EO said...

No one seems to be responding, but I am enjoying this. Thanks for going and sharing.

JanW said...

Ditto !