Monday, September 26, 2011

freeing the canaries

One of my favorite old movies is from 1971 - "Harold and Maude."  Have you seen it?  I was watching it again the other night.  Bud Cort stars as 18 year old Harold, who is trying to find his way in life.  Ruth Gordon stars as a 79 year old concentration camp survivor who has lived a full life.  They become friends. 

It is a funny, and a strange movie.  One line that I caught the other day when I was watching.  Maude [Ruth Gordon] is talking about how she wants people to really live.  She even likes to go to pet stores and free the canaries.  That experience never goes very well.  Freeing canaries is an idea that is ahead of its time.  Then she says, "O my, how the world still dearly loves a cage."

O my, how the world still dearly loves a cage.  How true it is.  So many ways to enslave people.  So many people asleep to the glory and good of this life.  Living this wonderful life from inside a cage of fear and selfishness.  Some people miss the chance to be free.  It is too difficult. O my how the world still dearly loves a cage.

"Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light."  Ephesians 5:14

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: