Saturday, September 10, 2011

I want a smaller church

I hear it a lot from folks at Woods Chapel.  I want a smaller church.  Some of them that tell me this, never even attended the old church!  Well, just for the record, I want a smaller church too.

The church was the most comfortable to me when we had about 300 people.  I still knew everyone and still delivered all the mugs.  I did all the hospital visits.  I knew everyone’s name.  Heck I knew their dog’s names.

But, Jesus has other ideas about our church.  We are called to invite. To care for those who are here, but to continue inviting others.  That means that if we are serious about following his purpose, we might get uncomfortable. 

So, it’s a toss up.  Do I want to keep it how I like it, or do I want to keep trying to do what Jesus asks me to do.  I guess since he died on the cross for me, I can suffer with some of the discomfort that I feel in a church that is a little different that what I would personally prefer.  How about you?

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: