Wednesday, September 7, 2011

a little ditty

I heard a bit of a John Cougar song the other day.  Let's forget about some of the racy lyrics for a few minutes.  The song is Jack and Diane.  For all the times that I have heard this song, something stuck in my head for the first time the other day.

The chorus says, "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone."

I stopped.  This is what is being said - there is a time when you are young when life is thrilling.  When you look forward to it all.  But then you get disappointed.  After that, life just goes on.  On and on, with no more joy, no more thrill.

I will never hear that song in the same way again, because I don't believe that the thrill of life is ever over.  Life is amazing.  Life is wonderful.  Even the bad parts, the hard parts are good.  It is joyful and opportunistic. 

Our chance as humans is to get our eyes off of our comfort and find the thrill of life, no matter what the circumstances.  And so I say once again -

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.  When we do, it is simply thrilling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy, do most of us need the inspiration from your post today. Sometime life feels very on and on and on. This is especially true after we get our children raised.