Sunday, September 4, 2011

love, part 4

I mentioned in church last week, one of my favorite sayings of Anthony Demello.  Demello was a Catholic priest who died in 1986 at the age of 56.  His ideas challenge me to be a more faithful Christian.

One of the things that he said was, “if I want something from you, it’s not love.”  I have been stuck on this idea for years.  It runs so contrary to everything we were taught, but it also explains so much.

It explains why selfish “love” only ends up hurting people.  I love you because you do something for me.  I love you because you fill the aching gap in my heart.  I love you because I don’t want to be alone.  I love you because you make me feel good.  All of this is selfish love.

Do you hear the “me” in all of htat?  How can love be like that?  All centered around me?  It isn’t.  True love is selfgiving.  True love invests in others.  True love is more interested in your joy that in my own.  True love finds its joy in your joy.  True love hugs you because you matter, not because I need the hug.  True love gives people room to grow.  It does not push them too hard.  It does not force them into a square hole.  True love wants to bless others.  It divests itself of it’s stuff for the benefit of others.  Those who love are in love with love, not in love with stuff.

Gosh, talking about love is so cool.  Why is that?  Why is it that when I write or think about love, I am happy?  I am full.  Why?  Because God is love. 

If you find yourself loving people in ways that wants to take from them, try a different approach.  See yourself as full, able and caring.  Receive the gift of the spirit of love.  Then just go and care about others.  Anyone, anywhere, anytime. 

That’s why we are here.  God is love, and we really are the happiest when we are about his business.

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahh, but I can forsee one circumstance where the person who wants something from me actually is a loving person, but one who just needs attention from me, or someone in the world, because they are sad or lonely, and it's a way for them to connect.

In most circumstances, what you shared is true. But there's always an occasion where we can minister or bring joy, by letting someone take from me.

G. said...

I love you!