Tuesday, September 6, 2011

things

We like to talk about how much change we have seen in our life times.  When I was a kid, phones had rotary dials, now people are dropping their home phones and carrying personal cell phones.  I saw my first microwave when I was 15 years old.

There are many things that we grew up on, that don't exist anymore.  Do you remember having snow tires?  That special pair that sat in the garage all summer and you put them on the back in the winter?  Everything changes.

Well, not everything.  The other day, I picked up an ironing board to fold it up and put it away.  I had not done this for a long time, so I wondered how it would work.  Amazingly, this brand new ironing board in a brand new hotel room is exactly the same technology that existed when I was a kid.

So, the moral of the story is, the younger generations can feel smug about a lot of improvements, but my generation still holds the only patent for ironing boards.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The younger crowd holds the patent for non-wrinkle fabics thereby making the ironing board patent no longer neccessary.

Well, assuming non-wrinkle fabrics actually worked.

Glenda A said...

Speaking of change, I like to think I'm flexible. But lately Ive noticed the smallest things get in my way! Like, a few weeks ago I discovered I couldn't get in the entrance at the sanctuary; had to use the office entrance. And last night I discover I can't get around the East side of the church any longer due to construction. In both cases, I only thought of my own convenience and how it was interupted! How stupid to think it's all about me! Got to think of safety, progress, tightening our belt a little. I'm working on my knee jerk reactions. It's all part of the small sacrifice so that we might connect others to Jesus Christ.