Saturday, July 14, 2012

an open mind

An open mind.  Do you have one?  How does one get one?  A mind is a terrible thing to waste, but many people do just that.

I watch people listen to political ads and they usually are not swayed one iota from their current view of reality.  I listen to people talk about their faith and the language is some of the most intransigent that you will hear.  It is almost as if people are afraid of things that might change their way of thinking.

Why be afraid?  Safety appears to be valued more than growth and learning.  You don't know what Presbyterians think?  Muslims?  Libertarians?  Rastafarians?  How on earth would it harm you to gain the knowledge of what other humans are doing and thinking? 

Personally, I find the ability to understand the perspective of others to be invigorating.  Years ago, I feared the perspective of others, and my life was filled with fear and intolerance.  When I began to try and understand others, I gained a bit of peace with them, even if I did not agree.  The world is a big place.  As my mother used to say, "there is more Horatio that is dreamt of in your philosophies."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle