Tuesday, July 3, 2012

the other side

There is always another side.  I got a nice note from a dear friend about my posts regarding politics.  She reminded me that it is our responsibility to be informed.  She is right.

Sometimes it is easy to see and think and talk about one side of an issue and leave the other side out.  sometimes I make a point in a sermon about something and there is another side to the issue that may be equally as true.

Where in your life are you listening to only one side?  What might you learn from the other side?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be  sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, the point made by your friend is a good one. However, the subject of being "informed" is a complex issue. I love reading the biographies of any former leaders of our country, if I respect that person. I'm glad we have freedom of the press in our country. With that said, what I learn from these biographies is that we need to not be lazy in turning on the tv or reading the paper and expecting the press to spoon feed us, so we'll be informed. We are subject to the views and opinions of reporters, and often find ourselves back in the "we-they" maize, where we began in your blog post. Sometimes the informed are actually "misinformed." Food for thought. I always feel guilty when I get to the ballot box and haven't done my homework enough to know who I'm really voting for. Being informed is work.