Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dad

So I was asked to write about my Dad as well.  My Dad was a good man.  He worked hard his whole life.  He struggled with addiction but kept at it.  He raised three kids and paid the bills.  He was hard on us, but he was trying to prepare us for the difficulties of life.

There are a lot of things that you don't appreciate when you are young, that later in life, you see what your Dad was trying to teach you.

Dad was an engineer at Ford Motor Company in Claycomo.  After Mom died, he joined our church.  That was a great day for me.  After 9-11 I called him up and asked for his advice. 

ME:  Dad is this anywhere close to Pearl Harbor?
Dad:  Son, it is worse.  Pearl Harbor was military on military.  This was done to innocent civilians.
ME:  Dad, there are going to be a lot of people in church on Sunday.  I am nervous about what to say.
Dad:  Son, look into your heart and you will find the words to say.

To my dying day I will remember watching my Dad wander in the back on the sanctuary on the Sunday after 9-11.  It meant the world to see him there and feel his support.

Dad had a routine.  Coffee at home for breakfast.  Lunch and dinner were at Romanelli's in Waldo.  When he was 18, he has his first beer there, so he remained a loyal customer.  On February 2nd, 2002 Dad had a stroke and died coming out of Romanelli's.  He was 74.  I was 44.

The funeral was at Mt. Moriah at 105th and Holmes.  I did the service.  I will never forget being at the visitation and the number of my friends that came in the back door and wandered up to pay their respects.  Those moments just stay with you.

I miss my dad.  Still.  I really did not get to know him until after Mom died.  Dad was a great guy. 

So the moral of this story is...... Hug the people that you love.   Appreciate them.  Meet them for lunch.  Spend time caring for them.  You will be glad that you did.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Jeff, the one about your mom was so touching, but this one about your dad brought tears to my eyes. Would love to have met your dad.

We have been to Romanelli's so many times. We undoubtedly saw your dad, but didn't see him because we didn't know him. Sorry, but the Gaf will never be Romanelli's. Loved seeing that "good old boys" club around the bar, all of whom seemed to know each other. Also strange that an Italian restaurant had the best catfish in town.

But the most touching part was when he joined your church and came there.

I pray that God will give you strength for the times you wish so much you could visit with your parents for awhile. I'm always telling God, oh if I could just have my parents back for fifteen mintues or thirty minutes, and then they could go back to Heaven, it would be fine. No it wouldn't.

But I also pray that your memories will always be vivid enough to make you smile and warm your heart.

You were so young, and I'm sure it feels like your children have missed out on getting to know two wonderful grandparents.