Tuesday, July 23, 2013

denominations pt 2


Someone posted this comment.  Let me comment on the comment.  Also, as a side note, sometimes when I cut and paste items into the blog they don't show up very well, so I am working on a way to highlight the pasted items so that they are readable both in an email and on the blog.

Here is the comment.

As I began to ask you some questions that mentioned non-denominational churches and their growing popularity, I began to Google the question, and here's what seemed key. The main reason for their popularity is that they are meeting needs. Jeff, do you find that busy people today are eager to have what they do matter. In addition to a church meeting needs in the member's own life, I think when they spend their time they want to be sure they are meeting needs and not going through perfunctory rituals that have become "sacred tradition." Do you find this in the people you minister to at WCC? I personally think the reason WCC is so vital and alive, is that our church is meeting needs all the time

Now my comment on the comment.
Do churches meet needs?  Some churches meet the dysfunctional needs of congregants to feel right and superior.  Some churches meet the needs of congregants to learn or worship or find friendship. 

I agree that people want to have what they do matter.  I want us to teach people to live beyond themselves.  To find a life that is full because we have given ourselves away.  To me, this kind of missional living provides for the needs of others, and we are filled along the way.  It is a healthy fullness of joy.  Doing that for which we were created.

Some do just settle for rituals and sacred traditions.  Others are energized by them.  One of my favorite moments of Sunday morning is to sing the doxology at 8am.  "Praise God from whom all blessings flow.  Praise him all preachers, I mean creatures, here below."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so good at this Jeff. Thanks for taking time to share these comments.