Sunday, July 14, 2013

Psalm 139

From my friend Bill C.


Back in the 70s/80s a book by Leslie Brandt was much loved.  It was called “Psalms / Now” and is a contemporary restatement of the Psalms.  I especially remember Psalm 139: 1-10:
 

O God, You know me inside out,  through and through.

Everything I do,

            every thought that flits through my mind,

            every step I take,

            every plan I make,

            every word I speak,

    You know, even before these things happen.

You know my past;

    You know my future.

Your circumventing presence covers my every move.

Your knowledge of me sometimes comforts me,

            sometimes frightens me;

    but always it is far beyond my comprehension.

 

There is no way to escape You, no place to hide.

If I ascend to the heights of joy,

    You are there before me.

If I am plunged into the depths of despair,

    You are there to meet me.

I could fly to the other side of the world

    and find You there to lead the way.

I could walk into the darkest of nights,

    only to find You there

            to lighten its dismal hours.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I know you'll want to know that the body of this is not readable unless you highlight the whole text. It came out black on black.