Thursday, July 25, 2013

plagiarism

Do I even know how to spell plagiarism?  Let's just call it, "it" for the rest of the blog.  Plagiarism, it, will get you fired, it will get you flunked out of a class.  It is writing verbatim someone else's ideas and claiming them as your own.

The other day, I posted on the topic of the "drug of approval."  A reader was right to call me on this.  It is an idea that is discussed in Anthony Demello's book, Walking on Water.  Which by the way is one of my favorite books.

Well, I don't ever mean to plagiarize the work of others.  Fact is, according to the old testament book, Ecclesiastes, "there is nothing new under the sun."  I have no new ideas.  I have no original ideas.  Everything that I know, or think I know, I learned from someone else.  From Anthony Demello, Bob Tuttle, Jim Ireland, Paul Brinkman, Bob Fillmore, and the list goes one.

I will often write about some idea, I don't always think to credit the person I heard it from.  Sometimes I don't even remember who I heard it from, but I will never tell you that it is my original idea. 

So, the drug of approval, and about 40% of everything else that I think, came from the writings of Anthony Demello.  If you have not read any of his books, I encourage you to do so.  Walking on Water is available in our bookstore at church.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about it Mr. Conscientious. It's a compliment to the author that you like what he writes.

Being willing to be a leader means that there is always going to be at least one person behind you to keep track of any slip you make.

You're good to go.