Friday, July 19, 2013

I loved this, Part three

While I agree with the comment from the other day, [see the post from Wednesday] I do feel that I made some good points. 

Yes we are Christians before we are Methodists, but, not all churches are the same.  In fact, some denominations are so brutal, I want to shrink back and hide from their theology.

I love grace because guilt is so painful.  So many churches are filled with guilt.  A young man that started going to our church was asked why he left his past church and landed here.  He said, "I got tired of feeling bad when I left church on Sunday."

I love the essentials because they really matter, and God is not going to give us a test over doctrinal peripherals when we get to heaven.  Some churches get lost in the minutia and actually think it is important, and that they have just the right spin on it.

I love missions.  There are many churches that are not engaged in missions.  They have forgotten the teachings of Jesus, pulled the wagons into a circle and tend to feel smug.  They have forgotten that faith is not just believing, but also doing.

So, although I would agree that I am a Christian first, I am also a Methodist by choice.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, you indeed made some excellent points, but then what else is new. You always make good points and that's why we love your preaching and teaching so much.

If you will allow me I need to make a totally unrelated point...well sort of unrelated. You and our other pastors are always finding ways to say thank you to our church family. However, I'm at a little bit of a loss to know where the forum is (that is read by many people) where members can say thank you to our staff and others, on behalf of our church family.

While Jeff is continually spreading the truth and making good points, he and Jay and five teen age young men deserve a big thank you for spreading blacktop recently. Not to mention that it was our entire parking area(s) What an outstanding job. One good thing about being a Methodist is that pastors probably don't have to get approval from the District or the Conference to go vroom vroom with the big machines and work themselves so hard in hot weather to make our parking lots look so professionally done.

Thank you Jeff.
Thank you Jay.
Thank you five teen aged young men.
Just one more reason to be a Methodist.