Monday, August 25, 2014

how the mind works

It is Sunday morning at 5:45.  I have parked the car at church in the pitch black, way out in the north 40.  We always ask staff and anyone that is going to be at church a long time to park out farther so visitors can park close.

Did I say it was pitch black?  It is 100 yards to the main building.  I have just started the walk across the parking lot when a car comes racing around the building, weaving between the islands.  Looks like teenagers.  Its a joy ride.

How the mind works....

They see me, look, and start to slow down.  My mind says, "uh oh, this is trouble."  They are after me.  They will catch me before I can get to the building.  They will beat me and gut me.  It will be one of those moments when I am trying to get my key to work in the door and they are coming closer and closer.  Maybe I can at least get into range of the parking lot cameras so that someone could know what has happened to me- and on Sunday morning! Poor preacher!

The car makes a u-turn and whips around at the youth building.  Yikes.  My worst fears are going to come true.  I pick up my step.  I watch the car, expecting it to race towards me at any minute. 

Then the church custodians get out of the car and walk up the sidewalk to clean the youth building.

All is well.  I am safe.  How the mind works.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you shared this. Reminds me of the time you were in the situation where you thought someone was out walking on that lot, and thankfully it turned out to be your shadow.

While you are to be commended for saving room for others, I and probably others think that in our day and time, coming in from that area of the lots, in all kinds of weather and in the dark, is not a wise thing to be doing.

For one thing, you're right behind a motel, where strangers come and go all the time. For another, you do this when the pavement is wet, icy, or snowy. If you would ever fall out there in the dark, there's no one around to help.

There are many of our men or women around church who would be glad to move your car out to the north forty, later in the morning. As a matter of fact, if your car needs a little run/speed/spin, to get the cobs out, the cleaning crew would probably even be glad to move it for you (ha.)

Seriously though, I think you might be putting Jeff at unnecessary risk. Not wise.