Monday, June 1, 2015

When people leave

Sometimes people leave our church.  It is always difficult for me.  I have learned over the years that there are many reasons why people leave and most of them are not related to me personally.

They move to Texas.  They get busy with sports.  They become more conservative.  They don't like the emphasis on missions.  They want the pastor to wear a robe.  They don't like contemporary music.  On and on it goes.  They are all good reasons, if you need a reason.  If someone leaves, only they can decide if the reason is reason enough.

I always feel bad when it happens.  Those of you who stay, please understand.... we are not perfect.  I am not perfect.  We are going to continue to pursue missions.  We are going to continue to be outward focused.  We are going to continue to ask difficult questions and stretch our people.

I hope that all of you will stay with me on this journey.  And I pray that those who left will come back.  There are plenty of hugs to go around.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very candid and realistic post. Jeff, can you tell me if I'm picking up accurately on this. It still seems to me that although the folks who leave now and then can cause some concern, Woods Chapel is still such a vital church, that it appears to me that we have quite a few more people "coming" "seeing" "liking" and "staying" than we have leaving?