Saturday, January 9, 2016

is my Dad coming?

A friend recommended a movie to me....... Unconditional.  It is on Netflix.  I watched it.  About half way through it, I had to stop.  A young man who was in the hospital asked if his dad was coming to visit.  The answer was no.  No, your Dad is not coming.  No, your Dad is not coming.......

It stopped me in my tracks.  I thought of how many times that my Dad was not there when I was young.  I thought of how much I wished for his support and love.  I know that he loved me in his own way, he was raised in the depression, and those kids that grew up in the depression made very interesting mothers and fathers.

And so I am thinking about my own kids.  Was I there for them?  Well, I know that sometimes I was there.  I was the first one there when my son fell off the roof and broke his back.  I was the first one there when Jenny had pneumonia.  I was there with Alli when she broke her foot.  But what would they say?  Would they tell you that I was a good Dad?

I wonder, how many times did they wish I was there, and maybe I wasn't.  I want to make sure that I never let them down again, ever, for the rest of my life.

The best investment that we can make in our life, is the investment into our children.  I am so blessed to have three very wonderful kids.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: