Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Pain

An interesting thought that I ran across on grief and pain.

"Real grief is not healed by time... if time does anything, it deepens our grief. The longer we live, the more fully we become aware of who she was for us, and the more intimately we experience what her love meant for us. Real, deep love is, as you know, very unobtrusive, seemingly easy and obvious, and so present that we take it for granted. Therefore, it is only in retrospect - or better, in memory - that we fully realize its power and depth. Yes, indeed, love often makes itself visible in pain."
Henri Nouwen

I think that this is why the loss of someone so close to us, like the passing of my father in 2002, can in time morph from deep grief to a savoring. As time has gone on, I realize how much he meant to me.

I love you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: