Saturday, May 19, 2018

3rd Grade Birthday

For some reason I was thinking the other day and I remembered my 3rd grade birthday party.

Let me set the stage.  The year is 1966.  We lived at 9601 Walnut in Kansas City.  This is a spec house of 1100 sq ft in a subdivision that was 20 years old.  Yet my mother insisted that we belong to a country club.  She wanted us to appear to have money.  Must have been funny to the Corinth Country Club members when we pulled up to the pool in our 1950 Packard.

Anyway, my birthday was in the summer back then and it was a custom that summer birthday parties were pool parties.  Mom asked for a list of who I wanted to invite.  I am sure that the list looked like this:
  • Greg Fisher
  • Bobby Berry
  • Dave Finlay
  • Sue Ellen Butler 
  • Janine Johnson

Well my mom was very particular and everything had to look just right to the rest of the world.  I would not be allowed to have a "mixed" party.  She told me that I could invite boys or girls but not both.

So guess what I did???
I made a list of girls!!!

So the day of the party came and we were having a grand old time and I decided to jump off of the high dive for the first time.  Maybe I was trying to impress the girls.  Remember, I am 9 years old.

Anyway, I get to the end of the high dive and I am petrified.  I finally jump, exactly how they tell you not to do it.  I jump off the side.  I remember to this day the feeling of belly flopping into that water.  I had bloodied my mouth and destroyed my pride.

This would be the last party that was girls only.  From then on, I hung with the guys.  And that's the way it was, July 5th, 1966.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com


- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/cc18081318h17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/HL19_G_Explorations.pdf

No comments: