Thursday, June 28, 2018

to be known

I never really got to know my parents.  It was not important to them to know us as people.  They kept their cards pretty close to their chests.  Late in life, if you asked my Dad, if you pried, he would tell you some things about his life but for the most part we did not know them.

I feel very differently about that.  I want my kids to know me.  I want anyone, someone, to know me.  I want to be known.  Not famous, but known and remembered.  I want to feel like I made a difference in someone's life.  Doesn't everyone?  I don't know, maybe not.

A few weeks ago I was watching the movie Walking Out starring Matt Bomer.  It is s wilderness story about an estranged father and son that go hunting.  At one point in the film, Bomer says to his son, "Someday you’ll have a son. And you'll want him to know who you are so badly that you would cry."

I take consolation in the fact that my kids should be able to read this blog and watch sermons on youtube years after I am gone if they are interested.

I think one of the joys of friendship is that you can let people see who you are.  Your friends can know you and you can know them.  I think we feel more safe when we are known.  We feel at home.  I think that there is something spiritual about being known.  Galatians 4 talks about us knowing and being known by God.  The spirit within us cries out "Abba" Father.  [Daddy]

I hope that someone knows you.  To know you is to love you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

4 Night cruise from Port Canaveral to Key West and Havana, Cuba.
August 13-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/cc18081318h17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl19030419g17768#.Wt84h7lRHcs

No comments: