Sunday, January 15, 2023

On their deathbed

I have been there when many people have died.  I have watched the process of many Christians as they close in on their final moments.

Gracious Christ followers always seem to end their journey in peace.  They know that they are going home.

Arrogant people?  What do they think about on their deathbed?  I have watched people fight the inevitable.  I have watched them square off with God, as if they were going to win this final battle.  But they don't.  It doesn't matter how full of yourself you can be in this life, death has the final word.  We are not after all, "all that."

I have watched believers face death, wondering and hoping that they believed it right.  I have watched people who feared God in their life, really fear God on their death bed.

To me, the best equation for a peaceful passing is this.  Follow Jesus in this life by living a life of kindness.  Don't worry about the details or you will worry about them forever.  Follow Jesus and trust God.  Believe that God loves you.  He is not out to get you on a technicality.

The deathbed is coming for all of us.  May you and I be granted a transition of love, grace and peace.  And that comes from finding the love, grace and peace in this life while we are yet alive.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: