Saturday, January 14, 2023

to believe or to follow

Christians like to use words like "believe" and "follow."

I would suggest to you today that it is much easier to believe in Jesus than to follow him.  There are all kinds of minimal ways that we can believe, and I think that is ok.  The thief on the cross believed, and that was enough.  If that was enough, then I think we make way too much out of "believing it just right."

Following on the other hand, is a different story.  You can believe but not follow, and many Christians do just that.  They believe in Jesus, but they do not follow his ways of love, inclusion and justice.  If Christians shy away from the poor, if they neglect the needy, if they care only for those like themselves, are they following the way of Jesus?  If they separate the world into the good ones vs the bad ones, are they following the way of Jesus?

I said it a week ago.  Followers follow.  I would like to believe in Jesus just enough so that I chose to follow in his paths.  I want to spend  my time and energy evaluating my practice of following, not my inventory of beliefs.

Are you a believer or a follower?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: