Thursday, January 5, 2023

refugees

Refugees, immigrants, illegal aliens, we call them many things.  What does God call them?  

I think that the Bible makes it pretty clear that our comfort is less important than the comfort of strangers.  We are called to welcome the broken, the lost, the least of these.

Yes, I understand that our borders are overflowing with people wanting in.  I understand that it causes stress to our systems.

We have spent hundreds of years building a nation that people want to come to.  That is a good thing.  People want to come here.  Would you rather live in a nation that people did not want to come to?

I understand that obeying the laws and the importance of that.  But if we ship out the immigrants, who do we think will be doing the yard work?  Who will be putting on new roofs?  We love affordable prices, but we forget that cheap labor is the result of having migrants among us.  And for that matter, the last time I was at the Doctor's office, most of the doctors in our group were immigrants.

Maybe I don't want my nation overrun by foreigners.  Neither did the American Indians.  All white people are either immigrants to North America, or we are the children of immigrants.  Otto Von Brinkman came to America from Germany in the 1800s.

God wants us to love strangers.  Yes I know that it messes with our brains, but I think that we need to open our perspectives about "outsiders."

This is our Father's world.


No comments: