Thursday, June 15, 2023

More on prayer

Too often our prayers are filled with self interest...

Lord, please don't let my adult children move across the country.  I know that they have their own lives and their own ideas, but I would miss them too much.  Do you see how that prayer is about me?

Lord please help me have an easy recovery from this knee surgery.  That is definitely about me.

Sure it is fine to pray for what we want, but we need to keep in mind that God is not Santa Clause and God's job is not to solve all of our problems.

One of my favorite old sermon illustrations goes like this...  A woman was testifying in church... I want to offer praise to the good Lord today... back during the war, we prayed for God to keep us safe.  And he did!  All of the bombs fell on the other side of the city.  😲😲😲

If you are looking for something to pray that is healthy, I suggest this... Lord, thank you for the gift of this day.  May I show your kindness and love to every person that I come into contact with today.  May your grace fill me for every moment, the challenging ones and the glorious ones.  Thank you for the opportunity to be alive in your world.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: