Friday, June 30, 2023

thoughts on being a friend

This is from my friend Bruce...

“What can I do to be a better friend?” was posted on June 1st, 2023 with a list of ideas and thoughts around this question. That blog post provoked me to think about friendship a little more. What can I do to be a better friend? First, I need to understand what friend means.

Merriam-Webster defines friend as: a person who has a strong liking for and trust in another.

The American Heritage Dictionary lists the history of the word friend as originating from Frēond, the Old English source of Modern English friend, it is related to the Old English verb frē̄on, “to love, like, honor, set free (from slavery or confinement).” Specifically, frēond comes from the present participle of the Germanic ancestor of Old English frē̄on and thus originally meant “one who loves.”

Friend: one who loves.  That is about it... a friend is one who loves and honors you.

To me, this is a great starting point for all thoughts and ideas about friends.

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to be a friend.

No comments: