Saturday, July 1, 2023

facing the challenges of aging

I remember something that happened when I was 20.  I went up to the local track at Center Jr High to run a couple of 440's.  My time in high school was around 57 seconds for that lap around the track.  Not exceptional, but not bad.

So I looked at my watch and took off around the track.  I ran just as I had been taught by Coach Sullivan on the Leland High School track team.  You divide the race into four quarters, four 110 yard sections.  The first 110 is the start... get out to a good start.  Not too fast.  The second 100 section was about position.  Determine your position among the runners and hold it.  The third 110 was about surviving.  Hold, hold, hold the pace.  The final 110 you can guess... you unleash hell.  You let go with everything that you have left.  You give it your best kick and head for the finish line.

I gave that lap my best, but my time was 65 seconds.  I was disappointed and I talked to my Dad about it.  I told him that getting old was not easy.  He laughed and said, just wait.  He knew much more about aging than I did.

Today I am mindful that I am in the last 110 of life.  I am almost 66 years old.  We can deny the fact of our aging, or we can see it for what it is and embrace that which is unavoidable.

Here is some advice that I have for myself, and for anyone else that is willing to consider it.

Advice as we grow older...

1.  when you look in the mirror, don't think of what was, don't think of how you used to look.  Instead, consider your current image to be an award for traversing the many challenges and joys of life.

2.  Stay active.  Just because you can't run a 110 yard dash does not mean that you have to sit in the rocking chair all day.

3.  Take time to rest.  When I was young, I laughed at the rocking chair on the front porch.  Now I see it's value.  Stay active, but also listen to your body.  It is ok to sit and rest from time to time.  A good deal of good thinking takes place when we sit down and rest.

4.  See what is really important.  As Connie Zweig says, it is no longer about roles, it is about souls.  Learn to see people and value them.

We all have a choice as we age, to get bitter or to get better.  I choose to pursue the better, I hope you do as well.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.  Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: