Monday, July 17, 2023

Friendship part 2

I am fortunate to have two friends named Bruce. Bruce M and Bruce L.

Bruce L and I have had many discussions over the years regarding friendship. Recently he shared these thoughts with me...

A friend is one who loves unconditionally. With this understanding, I ask, do we need friendship? Do we, as part of the human experience, need to be, or have a friend? Do we need to share ourselves with or have more than one friend? Are there emotional and physical benefits to friendship?

Science research professionals have studied these questions in depth and have presented outcomes that support the benefits of friendship both physically as well as emotionally. Some of these benefits include: healthier bodies that lead to longer lives, reducing stress and strengthening self-esteem that enhances our psychological well-being, and increases feelings of joy and happiness. Also, studies show that the quality of friendship is more important than quantity of friends.

With this information, I am thinking that there is more to friendship than I would have imagined. That, on a deeper level than my shallow understanding, as part of our existence, I need, we all need to be a friend and build friendships. We need friendship because we need love!

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to be a friend.

No comments: