Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Surgery Update



Today I am one month, post total knee replacement.  I used a walker for a week.  Then a cane for 10 days.  Now I am walking around and gaining mobility and flexibility.

Here are some take aways from the experience...

  • The first three days are pretty brutal, it gets tolerable after that.
  • One must strike a balance between rest and exercise. Too little exercise and you won't get the range of motion. Too much and you will swell up like a pumpkin.
  • Sleeping is impossible. The knee pain wakes you up every hour or so. I have had to switch my brain to 24 hour clock living. Awake when you are, sleep when you can.
  • If you get this surgery done, you will probably gain some weight because there isn't much to do besides watch tv and eat.
  • I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to have it done. The longer you wait, the worse it is.

I guess I would comment on the importance of sacrificing something, going through some pain for the common good.  No discomfort is ever easy, but we have to keep the ultimate outcome in mind.

Finally I want to thank everyone for their cards, prayers and well wishes.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: