Saturday, July 15, 2023

I hate this question

So if you have been a reader of this blog, you know that there is a church not too far from our house that posts things on their marquis sign that I do not like.

Here is the latest sign posting that I do not like...


What have you done for God lately?

I wonder how non-Christians read that message?  "God wants you/needs you to do things for him, and if you haven't been doing the right things to help God out, then he might be mad..."

In my opinion, this is another well meaning human attempt to help God out.  Unfortunately, guilt is not a good motivator.

Does God really need our help?  I don't think so.  If we do nothing, I think that he can still get his stuff done.  But I do think that he likes to use our hearts and hands in his service.

I would rather see their sign post something like:

"share love, you will be glad that you did"

"be the hands and feet of God"

"joy comes in giving"

I think that there are many ways to share the message about loving others without the manipulative pressure.

Guilt is a bad motivator.  Find a way to share God's love and encourage others without piling on the shoulds and oughts.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to be the good.

No comments: