Friday, July 26, 2024

The Fish Cheer

Some of you will remember Country Joe McDonald and his band doing "The Fish Cheer" at Woodstock.  When I was 12 years old, I wrote my own version of it.  I liked it for some reason.

And so I am looking at the meme that my friend Kathy sent me that I posted yesterday.











And I want to plagiarize it and write my own version.  So here goes...

I have noticed the political infighting and stress.  I have read the news and someone is upset about something.  There is a war in Ukraine.  Israel is attacked by Hamas.  The Houthis are disrupting shipping.  Wars and rumors of wars.  Inflation is up.  Biden has resigned.

And I choose to focus on something else.  While I recognize the importance of much of the above, I refuse to be dominated by it.  I am going to hold the door open for the next person.  I am going to say please and thank you.  I am going to give chocolate to the flight attendants.  I am going to use every ounce of energy that I have to show kindness.

Because, that is why we are here.  Not to put bumper stickers on our cars.  Not to post nasty reviews of businesses.  Not here to hate our neighbor.  Not here to demean the other political party.

We are here to show kindness.  And while I cannot control what other people do, I can certainly control what I do.

I will engage in kindness.  It is more powerful than hate.  It is more powerful than war.  Sharing kindness is amazing.  

I invite you to look past the ills of this world and engage in sharing love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: