Friday, July 19, 2024

you killed my plant

We have a lawn service.  It is very common in Florida and very affordable.  But, most of the employees speak little to no English.  Also, their life experience and life paradigms do not always lend well to our expectations.

So after our favorite palm tree died, I reworked the flower bed where it had lived.  From left to right, I put in a foxtail palm, some crotons, some Hawaiian Ti  [the pink ones] plants and a Christmas palm.

I am very proud of this little plot.  I have taken great care of the plants and I enjoy watching them grow.

Then the unthinkable happened.  One of the lawn workers weed whacked off one of my Hawaiian Ti's.  I was upset.  The plant is 15 inches away from the grass.  How careless does a person have to be to weed whack down one of the beautiful little plants???

I sulked.  I sent pictures to the lawn crew boss.  I left the weed whacked plant lay there so that the next time they came by, they would see it and maybe understand what they did.


Then I was out of town travelling.  A week in West Palm working, a week in Jacksonville working, a week in Chicago helping my daughter.  

When I got back I noticed something that made me very happy.  Out of the ashes of defeat, out of the stump of the whacked off plant, new shoots were coming in.



Turns out that a little accidental pruning is bringing this plant back stronger than ever.  It doesn't always work out this way, but sometimes lemonade does come from lemons.

Moral of the story.  It is only a plant.  Don't kill the lawn worker over a plant.  Good things can come from difficult situations.  Have faith, stay with the program.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.



No comments: