Thursday, February 12, 2009

blessed to be a blessing

I talked to a delightful person the other day about how God has blessed their life. Sure the economy is off and people are afraid, but many people still have many blessings. If you have your health and people that love you, you are blessed.

Sometimes it is easy to be blessing consumers. We enjoy the good that comes our way and forget that it comes to us for a reason. We are blessed to be a blessing. What we have is not simply for our pleasure, although blessings do bring us pleasure. What we have is given to us so that we can give to others. Financially sure, but I am talking about so much more. A smile, a hug, words of encouragement. If you have joy, and if you are a Christian, you should have some joy, it is to be given away.

Look for the discouraged person. Look for the one whose soul is downcast. Seek them out. Hug them. Lift up their eyes. Help them to see the joy of living again. Amazingly when you share God's love with another person, you are surprisingly refilled. We are blessed to be a blessing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What?? Blessings are not part of God's 'Reward System'??

So, rather than thinking that blessings were some type of 'reward' that I've:
a) rightfully earned (wow-could I be more self-absorbed?)
b) undeservingly earned (causing guilt, obviously taking the focus off Him, and putting it on me)
c) been given freely to me but withheld from others (again, causing guilt and shame)

You mean that the blessings bestowed are done so for me to give to others? (bringing glory to GOD?)

Ding*Ding*Ding!! (with a bright lightbulb flashing on & off!)

Where have I been? how is it that this has never occurred to me before?

The second part of Luke 12:48 says, "- When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required."

I've been given so much joy, so much love, so much forgiveness, so much peace... It is my obligation to give that joy, love, forgiveness, and peace to others! And it feels GOOD to give those things- It is a blessing in and of itself to do so! (that's the kind of 'snow ball effect' I want to be part of!)

Heavenly father, please replace the selfishness that often consumes my soul with YOU. Your desires, Your compassion, Your love. Help me to be responsible with the blessings you've given me. As they come, may I gratefully, willingly, and unselfishly pass them on.

Jeff, as always- thank you for your friendship, and thank you for the heart-to-heart talk.