Friday, February 20, 2009

smile power

It takes less muscles to smile than to frown. So I have heard it said. Yet, everywhere I go, I see people who will not look you in the eye. They walk right past with a scowl on their face. Maybe they don't like me, but how can that be? They don't even know me. I know it is not about me, they are just unhappy. How can that be? Is their life so bad?

There is great power in a smile. You can set the tone of a meeting. You can turn the course of a person's day. Your little smile can bring such joy. Share it. Smile power. Give it away.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's me again. You've totally hit on something that I almost wrote to you about last week. When I'm out, I make a point to smile at people all the time--especially those that don't look like they want to smile. And the result is, that person almost always smiles back, even if it looks a little forced. I'm not even sure I was aware that I was doing this until a couple of people commented on it. The teller at my bank told me one day that she enjoys it when I come through because I "always have a smile for her", as if it were a gift. And a stock boy at Price Chopper told me one day, "Every time I see you, you're smiling". Both of those comments made me feel really good about myself. Because the truth is--I don't always feel like smiling. I just know it's a great gift and one that you can afford to give to everyone you see.

Anonymous said...

=)

Anonymous said...

If you would like to see "smile power" at work, just look into Clay's face! It will make your day! Betty

Anonymous said...

For some people, it seems like they/we were born to smile, and it's second nature . . . I think for others it takes an awareness and a constant effort to smile. It comes from our heart, and when, in our heart, we aren't happy, then it's so hard. But when we just "are" happy, then it's easy. Does that EVEN make sense?

Does it matter if it's genuine or forced? Maybe not, but there is a difference!