Thursday, February 5, 2009

questions

questions and answers. We all have questions and most of us want answers. It is the way of Western Christian thinking. We think that we should have all the answers. A good number of shallow theological systems have been created in an attempt to provide answers. Just think this, this and this, and then you are on the right track......... really?

Here is my question: if we could find all the answers, what would be the need for faith? Where would trust come into play? What happens to the I-Thou relationship if I know everything about you-Thou? What of the sense of mystery? What happens to worship if I know everything about you O God?

I guess that is more than one question. We need to come to grips with the fact that we don't know it all and we are not going to know it all. We see through a glass darkly. Faith means trusting God when we don't understand. A life of faith is based on the partial revelation of God. We just are not going to know it all in this earth. And there is a goodness to that. A happiness. A joy. A resting in a God who is greater than I am.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just had this conversation last night with my uncle. Trying to explain that we weren't meant to know it all, but that we are meant to continue to seek God. There is a difference. I used to want answers to certain things (like why couldn't I get my marriage to work) and I finally realized that I didn't have to have the answer. For one, there's probably more than just one answer. I learned to accept that I tried everything I could for 14 years, and continued to try because I truly felt that was where and what God wanted of me. I take comfort in knowing that I tried, that God still loves me, and he has given me a wonderful daughter to bring up in the faith. I no longer need all the answers that I thought I used to.

Anonymous said...

Little late reading, was traveling.

The bible, Gods holy word, tells us everything that we NEED to know, not necessarily everything we WANT to know.

If he told us everything up front, human nature would leave us falling away from God our entire lives, instead of seeking Him.

He knows us better than we know ourselves.

David H