Saturday, March 7, 2009

do you get it?

Last night I went to get the oil changed in my wife's car. I opened the door and went to the desk. They said they are closed. I thought, hey I am standing in front of you, in your place of business, how can you be closed? But I didn't say what I thought, instead, I said, what time do you close? He said, 7pm. I looked at my watch. It was straight up 7pm. So I said, one minute ago you were open, but now you are closed? Yes, he said, we are closed.

I was nice, but I probably won't go back there. I got to thinking later that he had employees that maybe needed to go home. I am not sure they really get it. Going the second mile, especially in this economy would be a good thing I think.

Speaking of getting it, read Josh's post to yesterday's blog. Josh, your stock just keeps going up in my book. You get it. I am so proud of you.

"I get it" really boils down to, "it's not about me." When I can remember that, I can live with the oil change place closing at the time they stated, even though I made it into their lobby.

It's not about me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

terry said...

Thank you Josh. You have great human insight. I agree, you get it. Thank you for sharing a part of yourself. I don't know if you remember, but you helped me quite a bit last summer with some things I was going through with my son. I think God gives us those experiences so we can lend compassion, and not judgment to others.

Anonymous said...

thx you...you inspire me with that thoughts.