Friday, March 6, 2009

Wounded Healers

Henry Nouwen wrote a book called "The Wounded Healer." The book holds out the premise that all of us are wounded and imperfect. Like Clay says, only trust people that walk with a limp. We are all a bit broken, and there is no point in hiding that. Authentic, relevant living calls for us to seek God through our brokenness.

I once had someone quit the church because they did not want a pastor that was willing or able to be their friend. They did not want someone who walked with them in life. They wanted someone who was better, heroic and suitable to be placed upon a pedestal.

I did not really fit their picture and I never will. Well I probably did when I was 19-25 years old, because back then, I was very judgemental and I thought I knew everything. Not that all 19-25 year olds are, I know some great ones. Josh and others. I was just a jerk back then.

So, a wounded healer is someone that God uses to help others, in spite of, even because of their own personal wounds and struggles.

I would not be worried that your pastor sometimes has worries. I would be worried if he or she did not have worries from time to time. It is a very unnerving thing to have to tell people about your soul seven days a week. To preach on Sunday and put yourself out there for evaluation by all..... your thoughts, your hopes, your relationship with God.

Don't feel bad for me. If you are a Christian, you are a minister too. You are to be reaching out, caring about others in the name of Jesus every day. In spite of your wounds and imperfections. You see, you and I are in the same business.

So we continue the journey together. Wounded healers both of us. Depending on God. It's not perfect, but it was not meant to be. We are humans. Our humanness points us toward our heavenly Father. Isn't that the whole point?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even on my best day, I am judgmental and think I know everything. I'm self-centered, too. When I first felt a "call" to the ministry, I envisioned really grandiose sermons -- "my ministry" would be so personally fulfilling.

I know God brought me to Woods Chapel to see that we are all the broken in search of God's fulfillment. Why is it so hard to accept the humanity of our full-time ministers? Maybe we want to idolize our pastors. Maybe I wanted to be idolized when I first decided to be a pastor. Now, I think I'm starting to get a glimpse of the truth that there is nothing "godly" about Josh Shepherd. And on my best day, I'm just a dirty old mirror trying to reflect God's light.

It's funny how much peace comes with not having to lie to yourself and everyone around you about your weakness. For when I am weak, then I am strong. Jeff, you said I would feel funny and I do. I even feel funny responding to your blog, because what do I know? What does a naive, utterly broken person possibly have to say to others about God?

Well, I can talk about His love and His grace because it's there every day no matter how funny I feel.