Thursday, March 5, 2009

worry

I have a sin to confess. I have been worried about some things lately. Things that I see on the news and things about my job as the Pastor. Sometimes it is hard to do everything right in any job, but there is so much at stake when you are the Pastor. Now, I do believe that a Pastor should take their job seriously, and I do, but I have been worrying too much lately.

Worrying about what?

Can we get this done, can we get that done. Are the sermons good. Are the people happy. Did I make the right decision. How will we get to where we need to be as a church family. What is the next thing for us. I did not remember that persons name. The new church start. 31 employees. Bad things that people say sometimes. There is plenty to worry about.

Last night I had a chance meeting with one of the saints. She told me that she had been working on the concepts of worry and fear, and that she had been making some progress. God has been blessing her. She said it all comes down to trust. Life is complicated and challenging. If we try to carry our problems, we will worry ourselves sick. We must do our best and trust God.

A weight lifted. I feel so much better. The next time I am neurotically worried about something, just ask me if I am trusting God. Help me straighten up.

So what about you? Worrying or trusting?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little bit of both actually. I’ve been worried for some time now about the repairs that need to be made to my home. All huge and uncomplishable (yes, I know that’s not a real word) to me. I’ve also been praying for quite some time about these repairs and trying so hard not to stress over them. Each time something would either leak, not work, peal up off my floor, slide off the side of the house or roof, etcetera, it would be added to my prayers and my shoulders. I’ve been praying for a miracle so that I can fix my house. I received a miracle over the weekend. Not in the form, by the way, of what I was praying for, but what God knew I needed. This past Saturday and Sunday my miracle arrived in the form of two good friends with their husbands in tow. I now have a new kitchen sink, faucet and sprayer that all work beautifully and DO NOT LEAK! And I have a new heating element in my oven. I CAN COOK AGAIN! While I have gotten better about accepting help from others, it is still a little hard to admit that I’m not able to handle this on my own. However, I trust that God, and some of the best friends he could’ve ever given me, will help me carry the load.
Tonia

terry said...

Your sermons are great. You help hold us accountable, make us take another look. A wonderful gift has been imparted to you.

Anonymous said...

I have some mixed emotions about your blog today. In a way it kind of makes me feel a little less guilty about being worried when I know that my pastor worries too. And then, it kind of bothers me to know that you have been bothered by worry. I know you trust in God, but you might need to put more trust in your friends at WCC. We're all there for each other and that includes you. If there's any way that any of us can lessen your troubles or worries, just let us know and trust that we will do what we can for you.

Be blessed.