Friday, March 13, 2009

Yesterday I awoke

Yesterday I awoke with a thought. Now I guess I always wake with a thought, but a lot of times there really isn't much to it.

Where is the snooze?
Ug, It's morning.
Huh? What?
Oh, I have to get up.
Where is the bathroom.

That is a sampling of what I usually think in the morning. Not that anyone cares.

Yesterday, oddly enough, I woke with a thought on my mind that I don't believe I have ever had before. This was the thought: "today, hug everyone that you see."

I totally forgot about that until I was in a meeting at 6:30pm. Good thing too. I went some places that I could have gotten in a lot of trouble. I went to a pastor's breakfast at Winsteads. What would happen if I tried to hug everyone there? I had lunch at the Panda Cafe. Can you see me hugging all of the shy people that were eating there? It is a good thing that I forgot. I may not have survived the day.

So I am at this meeting and we are talking about worship. I am supposed to make a speech. Suddenly, I remember the thought of the morning. Hug everyone that you see. I told them of the thought, and then I hugged every single one of them.

When we hug someone, we forget about ourselves for a moment, our sins and weakness. And we forget about the other person's issues. We just share a little love for a moment. We break the pain of living to share a moment of grace.

This is what we should be doing in worship. We have a little talk with God.

Dear God, I am here to forget about me. I forget about the imperfections of the musicians and the pastor and the ushers. God I forget about all of the things that I don't understand about you. I just take this moment to reach out in love and hug you God. Receive my love. Let me sense your love. Let our souls be joined for a moment. In spite of human shortcomings, let me be joined with you.

Ahh. I feel it. I get it. I celebrate it. God I hug you and I receive your hug in return.

Try it on Sunday. Try it now. Wherever you are. Reach out and hug God. Let him take you into his arms. It is good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jeff that was great. It is only when we surrender our will and ask him into our hearts to do his will, that we find true peace and love...and loving our friends neighbors even our enemys is job #1
(especially our enemys cause thats the hard part) Your action not just words showed your love for all. It is in our actions that true change takes place. You my longtime friend are an excellent role model for us. I love you for that and so many other reasons. Thank you for sharing this great idea. (I'm not going to try it at a chiefs game though)