Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

Some folks don't like Halloween. It doesn't seem to be a very Christian day with all of its emphasis on ghosts and goblins and the like.

I am not going to make the case here that Halloween started as a Christian party, "All Hallows Eve;" I am simply going to make the point that Halloween is a lot of fun, and I think God is in favor of fun.

Kids. Lots of Kids. Cute kids dressed up in costumes. Candy. Lots of candy. Laughter. Scary movies. A fire in the fireplace. Chili. Hot Chocolate. Halloween is a fun day for families. When I was 14 I went to a costume party at a local church and danced to the complete song, the long version [17 minutes] of "Indagadadavida." Does it get any more fun than that?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm all for the kids, candy, chili and the fire in the fireplace, but you can scratch the scary movie. They don't scare me anymore anyway. As an adult, I know there are scarier things in real life.

Bunches of people getting together and having fun is good thing. I only wish I wasn't too big to go Trick or Treatin'. : (

Sharon said...

Are we allowed 2 comments? If not, that's okay. But, after hearing your Halloween stories during the sermon this morning, I just had to comment on one of them.
We had one of those signs too, "Leave your goodies in the box, walk away and no one will get hurt". But, I took it a step further. We had a mail slot right next to our front door which emptied into a coat closet. So, I'd sit in the coat closet, watch the "little devils" as they read the sign and make scary noises and stuff through the slot. We never got any candy in the box, but I laughed myself silly in the closet. I was about 15 or 16 at the time--not that that's any excuse, because I'd do it today if I could. ; )

Anonymous said...

Loved the sermon today. Thanks for putting the Halloween thing in perspective. Too many Christians get all bent out of shape about it. I think it's interesting that it is born of Christian beginning, but that the Pagans have usurped it as their own... :)

Anonymous said...

Sharon--

Who SAYS you are too big?

:)

Anonymous said...

I love your ATTITUDE!